Monday, February 6, 2012

Round II- more side effects

I had the second round of chemotherapy last Friday afternoon.

I arrived at the City of Hope at 8:30 am for a surgical consultation, as I am going to have a catheter placed in my chest, connected to my heart (to simplify medical terms). This will allow the chemo drugs to go into my body more easy and it is also easier on my veins, which begin to deteriorate when the drugs are injected directly into them regularly.

After several hours of sitting in the waiting room playing words with friends, I began Round II at around noon. The nurse (lets call her Nurse 1) was someone I had not dealt with before and lets just say there was a "communication barrier"... and my English is pretty good. A second nurse (Nurse 2) finally came in and straightened some things out.

I have previously mentioned some of the side effects of the drugs (tingling in fingers...) Some of the other issues that I have had to deal with are equally annoying. One of the nurses said that when using the bathroom (going #1 or #2) I should flush twice. My initial thought was that Kristen might have told the nurse to tell me this... you know a "courtesy flush", but the nurse said that its not safe to have any chemo drug residue in the bathroom. So trying to do that is extremely annoying, most people flush and run, not me, I flush, stand around for a bit and try to flush again... usually before the tank fills up.

Another thing that has begun to drive me a bit insane is the semi-insomnia. After the initial chemo injections, I try and get as much sleep as possible, so I don't have to endure the constant feeling of getting off the Disneyland tea cups after eating five nacho cheese dogs. As a result of weird sleep hours, I have found that for some reason I will wake up from my go to tylenol pm/ambien/any other sleep inducing drug cocktail, in the middle of the night and be wide awake. I am not talking about the "I have to go pee" one eye open awake. I am talking about the just got punched in the face wide awake. As a result of the tylenol etc, my eyes are pretty much unable to open, but my legs and body are ready to go. Its my "restless leg syndrome" side effect.  I have found that pacing throughout the house, walking up and down the stairs, stretching and also swearing helps with this issue. It takes between 30 minutes to an hour before I can get back to bed.

Just a few more weird side effects. These will be quick.
1. Sleep habits are a bit off, and I have been known to make some weird whimpering sounds in bed (No, I don't have mommy or daddy issues).
2. Kristen also thinks she is a victim of domestic violence, as she has been on the receiving end of some extreme tossing and turing as I try to get comfortable in bed. She has no marks, so its her word against mine. I was a police officer, I know how it works.
3. The chemo drugs have made me a little bit gassy at times. Since Kristen knows that I have to flush twice... she has translated that into thinking my gas is actually go to inflict real harm. I am sorry to Midas (our dog) who I blame it on. All about projecting the blame.

Other than that, I am good. Thank you for all the support! The phone calls, emails, texts, and inappropriate picture messages are helping me stay positive and optimistic through this difficult time. Oh, and I am 16% done with the Chemotherapy....

Wes 2.0

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny, Wes. Did you have "restless leg syndrome" before chemo? I am wondering if that is some kind of genetic thing. In November, Jarom, Levi and I were sitting on a couch late at night when our legs started to spasm. All of us admitted it happens late at night when we're tired and we all thought we were the only ones that happened to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes!! I'm pretty sure you remember who I am, but probably haven't heard or thought about me or my family in a long time! It's Brianne Nelson, formerly known as Groesbeck. I saw on Maegan's facebook that you were having some health problems, but no other details. One day while I was at my parents home we searched and found your blog site on Garrett's facebook page and we have been stalking you ever since. I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE reading your posts. You have a great sense of humor and an amazing ability to write. Know that all the Groesbeck clan is rooting for you up here in Utah and praying that all will go well in your treatments. We look forward to seeing you again...someday. Until then, thanks for keeping us posted on your happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clarifying the details on the catheter to the heart procedure. Being totally clueless about that whole thing, I thought it sounded like a bad idea. So I am glad to hear someone is thinking things through.
    My brother in law Spencer deals with some similar sleep meds issues (eyes closed & legs ready to go) and has found some of these same coping mechanisms to be helpful, "pacing throughout the house, walking up and down the stairs, stretching and also swearing helps with this issue. It takes between 30 minutes to an hour before I can get back to bed." although I think his swearing isn't out loud all the time. Another thing he likes is listening to music, and he's got his ipod ready whenever. I was thinking maybe it could be helpful for you too. If you are interested I could hook you up with an online music subscription.
    To answer Allie's questions, my mom has restless leg syndrome. She also claimed to have the same left arm pain Wes had too.
    So I am thinking about the double flushing deal. What about the idea that people throwing away old Rx meds in the toilets are making the fish high? I never thought about chemo in that process. So I guess every time you flush you pass on some 2.0 power to a fish?

    ReplyDelete