Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Graduation from the University of Chemotherapy

The words I have been waiting to say for many many days... IT'S OVER! (at least for now).

Last Friday I completed the 12th and final scheduled chemotherapy session. My physical reaction to the treatment was about the same as all the rest, with the exception that I knew once I recovered I was home free.

Here is the run down from the final chemo session.

Yes, I threw up several times.
Yes, profanity was directed at the nurses several times.
Yes, I got into the fountain at the hospital on my way out! TAKE THAT CITY OF HOPE! Cancer patient in your pretty fountain.

The doctors told me I have to continue to go in for testing (PET scans) over the next few years, but as time goes on the tests will be more spread out and eventually I will put this all behind me.

Hopefully I can get the catheter out of my chest in the next month or so. I feel like that it is a symbol of cancer and sickness. I understand that it is a miracle of modern science, but I never got used to it.

I wish I there was someway that I could tell each and every person that has supported me over these last  few months just how much they have helped. I am privileged to have such a support system made up of family, friends, co-workers and even strangers (some stranger than others).

I get asked the question "How are you feeling?" I understand that it is probably directed at my physical well-being, but the honest answer to that question is "I feel grateful".

Thank you for all the support.

WE beat cancer once, if it comes back WE will beat it again.

~ Wes 2.0

4 comments:

  1. I'll beat that cancer right out of you if you need me to. I got your back Snipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Wes. I'm so happy for you. Good for you standing in the fountain. I bet you dared someone official to tell you to get out. And I don't think you're supposed to feel all warm and fuzzy about the catheter. Good riddance to it! Congratulations!!!!
    Aunt Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes I would be careful about the "beating" that Lee speaks of.. ...Seriously though congrats on being done, you are a champ!

    ReplyDelete